Ephesians 4:8 - Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
Ephesians 4:11- And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Who did God give the 5-Fold Ministry to? The Church
Is the Church still active today? Yes
As long as the church is still here on earth, the 5-Fold Ministry will continue to function. As long as there are saints that need to be perfected; ministry that needs to be worked and labored in; and as long as the body of Christ needs to be edified and built up...that is how long the 5-Fold Ministry will continue. God gave to the church, both corporate and local, the five-fold ministry. Ephesians 4:11, tells us that He gave us Apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers. The five-fold ministries represents "the hand of God" working in the church today. This is the hand that performs the work that He desires in this world today.
The purpose of the five-fold Ministry is found in Ephesians 4:11:
To perfect the saints
To identify, equip and involve the saints in the work of the ministry
To edify or build up the body of Christ
The five-fold ministry will remain in place until:
We all come in the unity of the faith.
We all have knowledge of the Son of God
We all become a perfect (mature) man unto the stature of the fullness of Christ.
God has set five senses in the human body for the protection and care of the body. So he has set five ministries as the spiritual senses of the body of Christ for its protection and care.
BELOW IS A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF EACH OFFICE
1. Apostle – The Office of Apostle is the Supernatural ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ which enables them to start churches and exercise general leadership over a number of churches with an extraordinary authority in spiritual matters that is spontaneously recognized and appreciated by many. Because the apostolic gift is focused on establishing churches, apostles are keenly aware of all the other gifts. They want to see all the gifts flourish so that healthy churches can be born. True Apostles get great joy from in allowing room for other gifts to emerge and grow churches. They are men and women of great authority and are sent ones from God not man. Is there proof that the term "apostle" continued beyond the Twelve? There were others who were called apostles in addition to the original twelve and Mathias. Men such as Paul, Barnabas, Silvanus and Timothy were all later apostles and females such as Junia. Paul refers to Junia as an apostle.We also find other scriptural proof that there were many that were called apostles in the New Testament beyond the twelve. 2 Corinthians 8:22-24 is translated "messengers of the churches" but it is the same Greek word, apostolos, Strong's 652, and could be translated as "apostles of the churches"! In Philippians 2:25 Epaphroditus is also called an apostolon or apostle, but once again it was translated "your messenger" rather than apostle.
2. Prophet/Prophecy – The Office of Prophecy is a Supernatural ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ to receive and communicate an immediate message of God to His people through a divinely anointed utterance.
3. Evangelist – The Office of Evangelist is a Supernatural ability that God gives to certain members of the body of Christ to share the gospel with unbelievers in such a way that men and women become Jesus’ disciples and responsible members of the Body of Christ.
4. Pastor/Teacher – The Office of Pastor- is the Supernatural ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ to assume a long-term personal responsibility for the spiritual welfare and discipleship of a congregation of believers. They are also referred to as shepherds.
5. Teacher – The Office of Teaching is a Supernatural ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ to communicate the Word in a way that is relevant to the health and ministry of the body and its members and also in such a way that others will learn and become mature Christians and effective disciples for Christ.
When these “Offices” work together, we see a full manifestation of the expression of Jesus Christ for